171460283 发表于 2015-8-16 18:26:38

Ely Cathedral (Fourth Day in England)(伊利大教堂【在英国的第四天】)

Today's classes are all about English Kings and Queens. I will like to talk about three rulers. First is King William the Conquer.
He's from France but he was called the first English King. He died when he accidentally fell off the horse while having a battle with France. But they say that it's this war which started the Hundred-Years war between England and France.
The second one is Henry the eighth. He was the one that made Trinity College and they said that he was not a very good king. But we don't know exactly why. He had six wives. Three were divorced, two were beheaded and one survived. But even he had six wives, he only had two daughters and one son. When he divorced his first wife, he turned the country into a Protestant country. They are no longer Catholics.
And the queen now is Queen Elizabeth 2nd. She's the second longest queen on the rein and for the people of England, she was a great queen.
In the afternoon, we went to visit the cathedral in Ely. Ely is a city while Cambridge is a town. Even that Cambridge is bigger than Ely and has more population, but since Cambridge doesn't have a cathedral so it could not be a city.
On the bus, I watched what is outside the window. I saw dozens of trees and grass whizzed by. It was a perfect day outside, very sunny and very warm.
Soon, we saw the church, it looked very big and tall. I recognized that it was Gothic style building at once.
We went inside, it was quiet, there's no noise inside at all. Even if you shout, it will still be quiet, but before you can even shout, that quietness will stop you and make you listen to the quiet.
The guide told us that this church used to be a Catholic church. It was painted in bright colours before, we can still see some of the colours. The church's colours were changed when this Catholic country became Protestant. Yes, when Henry 8th reined.
She used a green pointer to point at the places where we can see that is above the place that we are standing. She said that that was the place where the monks live and work, and if they need to. They can say their prayers on there where God is nearer to them and they wouldn't be bothered by the usual people coming to church. This church was used to be a path towards heaven and a heaven on the ground.
She took us into another room where we saw a girl with golden hair raising both of her arms. She told us that Maria was raising both of her arms when God had told her that he wanted her to be the goodness and she agrees. "Her hair there, " the guide said. " Her hair used to be black, but because of the golden ring that was painted on her head, it became golden.
We had a little time to walk around the church and see everything. And I can finally get a good look. There are places where I noticed tables with candles on them. I stood at the place where the preacher might had been and imagined that many, many years ago, it was Sunday and lots of people were sitting in the seats before me. It gives me a serious feeling.
I studied closely at the windows. The guide had said that the windows were built in the time when Queen Victoria reined. The window is not made of plain glass, there are pictures of people on the wall. Then, I looked at the door. The doors have waves on them just like as if they were carved. Some of the doors have small statues the top of them.
After a while, we were out of church and we noticed another river. The teacher told us that this river is the same river with the River Cam. But it's a different part of it and they call it a different name.
In the evening, the teacher took us to the cinema to watch a movie called < Antman >, it was a movie acted by real people instead of drawing pictures.
There's a big screen in front, and the voice was very clear.
The movie was about a man, who went into a professor's house trying to get his hands on some money but instead he only found an old style motorbike suit so he took it. But he didn't know that it was not only a motorbike suit.
The first time when he tried it on, he heard a voice in his ear and suddenly he became small and was flushed down under the bathtub hole and he had a scary adventure in the suit, and he decided that he doesn't want that suit, he wants to put it back. But he was caught by the police before he can even return the suit-
The rest of the movie was very interesting and I can understand most of it. Everybody stayed wide awake looking at the movie and the ending was a happy one.

页: [1]
查看完整版本: Ely Cathedral (Fourth Day in England)(伊利大教堂【在英国的第四天】)