楼主 2014-7-2 07:59:46 使用道具

charlenedavid 发表于 2014-7-2 06:25
    我很需要这样的资料,儿子8年级起就有写简历的课了。

太好了,这个帖子就没白写。
  • charlenedavid

2014-7-2 09:26:52 使用道具

看,这是昨天和今天两天做的:

Final Visit by Donna Gamache

1  The sun was almost touching the horizon, turning the river to a ribbon of shining gold, when Scott Larner drove down the long lane to the farm. He stopped the car at the barbed wire gate which barred his way, and looked at the newly painted “No Trespassing” sign which hung on the gate. His father would never have wanted such a sign. But Joe Larner had been dead for a month, and probably Bert Wilson, the estate lawyer, did not want strangers in the yard or house.

2  Or perhaps it was the bank which had put up the sign. The farm had been paid for years ago, but with farming conditions the way they were, maybe Joe had borrowed to buy machinery. Perhaps the bank, too, was trying to locate him, Joe’s son and only heir.

3  Bert Wilson’s letter had reached him on the fifteenth of September after weeks of being redirected. “Your father passed away August 24th,” he wrote. “The farm has been left to you. Please get in touch with me immediately.”

4  Though Joe had never forgiven Scott for leaving the farm at eighteen, though he’d never answered the occasional letters Scott sent over the years, or shown in any way that he’d like Scott to come back, in the end, he had willed the farm to him. Obviously, though, he had not even kept Scott’s address, but had left it up to Wilson to locate Scott.

5  When it had arrived, Scott read the letter slowly, then again, and his eyes, surprisingly, misted at the news, though it had been months since he even thought of his father, or Manitoba, or the farm. At first, he decided to reply that the farm should be sold and the money cabled to him. But he delayed for a week, and then, when he meant to write to the lawyer, he found he couldn’t do it. The farm called him. He wanted to see it one more time before he signed the papers. He asked for two weeks’ leave of absence. “Enough time to go home for a short visit and tie up all the loose ends,” he said. “I’ll be back.”

6  Home—strangely, he had almost forgotten that word in relation to this land, these hills and fields, and the river meandering through them in long loops. Home had been for years a bunkhouse at the Sparwood Mine, three provinces away. Now, since his recent promotion at the mine, home was one side of a duplex, cleaned each week by a stout graying woman who kept the place spotless.

7  Scott climbed stiffly from the car and opened the gate. There were no cattle in the yard—they must all be on the hills, he thought. But he dutifully closed the gate anyway. “Joe would have approved of that,” he spoke aloud to himself.

8  Joe—funny, he’d never thought of him as Dad or Father, always Joe. Joe said this; Joe wanted that done; Joe wouldn’t let him go.

9  During Scott’s teenage years, Joe had seemed like a tyrant. Now Scott realized that Joe had just tried to do the best he could for his only child, motherless since Scott’s mother died when the boy was eight.

10  He stood for a few minutes looking around the barnyard and down towards the winding river. The river had been his favorite place, as a boy. He remembered hot summer days spent swimming in the deep hole, and cool evenings when the fish would bite at the rapids farther downstream—small jackfish, just the size for a meal or two. The river still beckoned; he would walk there tomorrow, trace his steps along the sandbars and occasional steep bank bounded by thick willows and tall poplars and maple trees. But now the sun was down, and he turned instead to the house.

11  Both doors of the house were locked. Scott hadn’t expected that; the house was never locked in all the years he lived there. He doubted if Joe even had a key.

12  He didn’t want to drive back to town in hopes of finding the lawyer, or bank manager, or whoever might let him in. But maybe it wouldn’t be necessary. If Joe hadn’t changed the basement windows in the last ten years, then there was an easy way inside that Scott could use.

13  The windows were just the same. He removed the storm window from the one on the northeast corner, and easily pushed the window in. He’d used that route many times during the last year he spent with Joe, slipping out at night to walk alone on the hills, and coming back late without his father’s knowledge.

14  Scott was heavier now, though, and it wasn’t quite so easy to squeeze through and drop to the basement floor. He was breathing deeply by the time he succeeded. The basement hadn’t been altered in ten years, he realized as he caught his breath, except for the accumulation of ten more years of dust and cast off possessions.

15  The rest of the house was the same, too. It might have been yesterday that Scott left. The table and chairs, the living room furniture, even the wallpaper, were all unchanged. Scott almost expected Joe to come striding out of the back room with orders to go feed the cattle. When, reluctantly, he climbed the stairs to the bedrooms, he found his room unaltered from when he’d left it ten years ago. Only the empty closet was evidence of his absence. Suddenly exhausted, he lay on the bed and was almost immediately asleep.

16  He awoke at seven, refreshed and hungry. Joe’s cupboards contained the usual box of corn flakes and, to Scott’s surprise, a box of milk powder; and the freezer in the basement held several loaves of bread. He ate heartily.

17  The sun was bright, but there was a cool east breeze when Scott left the house. Bert Wilson and his legal forms could wait. Scott would look over the farm first, see what things looked like after ten years away. If he was going to sell everything, he’d have to get an idea of what there was.

18  The barn and feedlots were empty. Scott could see the Hereford cattle, Joe’s special pride, grazing on the hills. The field to the east had been combined,1 he noticed, though the straw was not yet baled. Neighbors, he supposed, would have come in to take off Joe’s crops. He’d forgotten that neighbors did things like that.

19  The tractor shed held a newer tractor than Scott remembered, not the old W-6 he used to drive, and the haying equipment was new, too. But the combine hadn’t changed; it was still the old pull-type that Scott remembered using his last autumn on the farm, that last fall when the constant bickering with Joe over the way things should be done, and over his personal affairs, had finally led him to leave the farm.

20  He turned now toward the river and headed downstream. The river, too, seemed the same. It was low at this time of year, of course, and he was able to walk along the very edge. In some places one could almost cross on stones, but at other spots deeper, darker pools glistened. Did they still hold fish?

21  He sat down on a large rock by the very edge, sheltered from the breeze by the overhanging bank. Overhead, a small vee of geese winged southward, and on a nearby sandbar, a sandpiper strode on stilted legs. Nothing seemed to have changed—nothing except him. He was no longer eighteen, rebellious and resentful of Joe’s orders. He was sure of himself now, a man with authority at the mine. But the mine seemed a long way away now. Would he be different back here on the farm?

22  Scott stood and headed downstream towards the lower rapids. Just above the rapids, he remembered, the water was slow and deep in a wide meander. It had been Scott’s favorite fishing spot. And behind and above the river was a thick grove of poplars and maples, edged by willows. It was one of the best spots he knew for nest hunting, and sometimes rabbits and raccoons had frequented the spot. His feet hurried towards it.

23  Then, abruptly, he stopped. At the corner, where the long, deep curve began, something was missing. Several tall poplars had stood there. And now they didn’t. Had Joe been way down here cutting wood?

24  He walked closer, then stopped in surprise. It was not Joe who had removed the trees. The stumps of the poplars were pointed, and tooth marked.

25  “Beavers!” Scott exclaimed. “When did they come here?” Looking farther ahead, he could detect missing poplar trees all along the whole curve.

26  But there had been no beavers on this river for as long as Scott could remember, none at all throughout all the years he’d grown up there. He remembered Joe spoke of beavers in the past, but for years there were none anywhere, except farther to the north in the Riding Mountain Park. But now they were on this river.

27  He continued on, picking his way over downed poplars, noticing the well worn trails the beavers had made. Clearly, they had been here for at least a couple of years. Some of the stumps were yellow, newly cut, but others had already darkened, and the chips were covered by old leaves.

28  The river seemed deeper than he remembered, and against the far bank a half-submerged pile of branches was probably a feed bed. Scott could see no beaver house, but perhaps they had tunneled into the river bank. He was not surprised, when he rounded the final corner, to find, just above the rapids, a large beaver dam holding back a good three feet of water.

29  He sat down on the bank above the dam to watch. Probably he’d have to come back in the evening to see the beavers, but he’d wait for awhile. It was hard to believe—beavers back on the river where they hadn’t been for years. And managing all right, too, by the look of things. He hoped whoever bought the farm liked beavers, and didn’t decide to trap them out. Had they returned all up and down the river? He’d like to do some more exploring, if he only had the time.

30  Then he shook his head. He could have the time, if he wanted. And he could see to it that the beavers were protected. He could stay here. The farm was his now, his to sell or his to keep, if he wanted. Someone else could have these beavers on their farm, these pools to fish, these fields to harvest; or it could be himself.

31  He shrugged his shoulders. Did it make sense for him to return to the farm? To give up the place of authority and the salary he commanded at the Sparwood Mine? He knew that it didn’t. And he’d been away ten years, had no doubt forgotten some of the things he’d need to know. Could he handle the farm machinery? Look after Joe’s cattle properly at calving time? Did he have the knowledge and skills he’d need to run this place?
    32  Not all of them. But he could get help and advice, when he needed it. And he did have some money, saved over the years at the mine. He’d need money. Some of Joe’s machinery should be replaced; the barn was in need of repair. The money would help.

33  It wouldn’t be easy, Scott knew that. The hours would be much longer, the money much less. Could he adjust to a life which didn’t contain a paycheck every two weeks?

34  Scott sat on the bank, deep in thought. When he came for this visit, he’d had no intention of returning permanently. Or had he? Was that why he’d asked for the leave of absence? Was that why he couldn’t answer the lawyer without one last visit? Deep down, without knowing it, had he wanted to return here?

35  Would Joe be happy to have him back on the farm? Maybe he’d known that if he left Scott the farm, he couldn’t resist returning. Perhaps, somewhere, Joe was having the last laugh.

36  Abruptly, Scott stood up and, almost beneath his feet, a sharp crack broke the silence as a beaver tail slapped hard on the water. Scott jumped, then grinned at himself.

37  “You’re back,” he said to the beaver. “And you’re doing fine, it looks like. If you can return, then why not me?”

1 What are paragraphs 23 through 29 mainly about?
    A Scott sees that the river is the same as it was when he left.
    B Scott compares himself as a teenager to the man he is now.
    C Scott remembers Joe talking about beavers being on the river.
    D Scott discovers that the beavers have returned to the river.

2 Which word from paragraph 10 helps the reader understand the meaning of the word meandering in paragraph 6?
    A sandbars                        B downstream                C favorite                        D winding

3 What was the major source of conflict between Scott and Joe?
    A Scott kept sneaking out of the house at night.       
    B Scott wanted to be a miner instead of a farmer.
    C Joe tried to control his son’s life.                               
    D Joe refused to answer his son’s letters.

4 Scott’s thoughts as he walks along the river indicate that he —
    A has worked indoors for most of his life                       
    B goes to Riding Mountain Park on vacations
    C wants to sell the farm as quickly as he can               
    D spent time observing nature when he was a boy

5 Which detail from the story supports the idea that Joe still cared about his son?
    A Joe willed the farm to Scott.                               
    B Joe put extra bread in the freezer.
    C A lawyer told Scott about Joe’s death.               
    D Scott found a new tractor in the shed.

6 Which of these sentences from the story shows        how much Scott has changed since he left the farm?
    A He was no longer eighteen, rebellious and resentful of Joe’s orders.
    B The farm was his now, his to sell or his to keep, if he wanted.
    C He wanted to see it one more time before he signed the papers.
    D During Scott’s teenage years, Joe had seemed like a tyrant.

The Grandfather by Gary Soto

1  Grandfather believed a well-rooted tree was the color of money. His money he kept hidden behind portraits of sons and daughters or taped behind the calendar of an Aztec warrior. He tucked it into the sofa, his shoes and slippers, and into the tight-lipped pockets of his suits. He kept it in his soft brown wallet that was machine tooled with “MEXICO” and a campesino and donkey climbing a hill. He had climbed, too, out of Mexico, settled in Fresno and worked thirty years at Sun Maid Raisin, first as a packer and later, when he was old, as a watchman with a large clock on his belt.

2  After work, he sat in the backyard under the arbor, watching the water gurgle in the rose bushes that ran along the fence. A lemon tree hovered over the clothesline. Two orange trees stood near the alley. His favorite tree, the avocado, which had started in a jam jar from a seed and three toothpicks lanced in its sides, rarely bore fruit. He said it was the wind’s fault, and the mayor’s, who allowed office buildings so high that the haze of pollen from the countryside could never find its way into the city. He sulked about this. He said that in Mexico buildings only grew so tall. You could see the moon at night, and the stars were clear points all the way to the horizon. And wind reached all the way from the sea, which was blue and clean, unlike the oily water sloshing against a San Francisco pier.

3  During its early years, I could leap over that tree, kick my bicycling legs over the top branch and scream my fool head off because I thought for sure I was flying. I ate fruit to keep my strength up, fuzzy peaches and branch-scuffed plums cooled in the refrigerator. From the kitchen chair he brought out in the evening, Grandpa would scold, “Hijo, what’s the matta with you? You gonna break it.”

4  By the third year, the tree was as tall as I, its branches casting a meager shadow on the ground. I sat beneath the shade, scratching words in the hard dirt with a stick. I had learned “Nile” in summer school and a dirty word from my brother who wore granny sunglasses. The red ants tumbled into my letters, and I buried them, knowing that they would dig themselves back into fresh air.

5  A tree was money. If a lemon cost seven cents at Hanoian’s Market, then Grandfather saved fistfuls of change and more because in winter the branches of his lemon tree hung heavy yellow fruit. And winter brought oranges, juicy and large as softballs. Apricots he got by the bagfuls from a son, who himself was wise for planting young. Peaches he got from a neighbor, who worked the night shift at Sun Maid Raisin. The chile plants, which also saved him from giving up his hot, sweaty quarters, were propped up with sticks to support an abundance of red fruit.

6  But his favorite tree was the avocado because it offered hope and promise of more years. After work, Grandpa sat in the back yard, shirtless, tired of flagging trucks loaded with crates of raisins, and sipped glasses of ice water. His yard was neat: five trees, seven rose bushes, whose fruit were the red and white flowers he floated in bowls, and a statue of St. Francis that stood in a circle of crushed rocks, arms spread out to welcome hungry sparrows.

7  After ten years, the first avocado hung on a branch, but the meat was flecked with black, an omen, Grandfather thought, a warning to keep an eye on the living. Five years later, another avocado hung on a branch, larger than the first and edible when crushed with a fork into a heated tortilla. Grandfather sprinkled it with salt and laced it with a river of chile.

8  “It’s good,” he said, and let me taste.

9  I took a big bite, waved a hand over my tongue, and ran for the garden hose gurgling in the rose bushes. I drank long and deep, and later ate the smile from an ice cold watermelon.

10  Birds nested in the tree, quarreling jays with liquid eyes and cool, pulsating throats. Wasps wove a horn-shaped hive one year, but we smoked them away with swords of rolled up newspapers lit with matches. By then, the tree was tall enough for me to climb to look into the neighbor’s yard. But by then I was too old for that kind of thing and went about with my brother, hair slicked back and our shades dark as oil.

11  After twenty years, the tree began to bear. Although Grandfather complained about how much he lost because pollen never reached the poor part of town, because at the market he had to haggle over the price of avocados, he loved that tree. It grew, as did his family, and when he died, all his sons standing on each other’s shoulders, oldest to youngest, could not reach the highest branches. The wind could move the branches, but the trunk, thicker than any waist, hugged the ground.

7 Read the following dictionary entry.
    cast \ kast\ v
    1. to give forth; to project
    2. To direct (the eye)
    3. to deposit (a ballot) formally
    4. to assign a role to
    Which definition best fits the word casting as it is used in paragraph 4?
    A Definition 1                B Definition 2                C Definition 3                D Definition 4

8 Which of the following is the best summary of the selection?
    A The author’s grandfather arrived in Fresno from Mexico. He worked at the Sun Maid Raisin plant. In his spare time he tended his backyard garden.
    B The author jumped over a small avocado tree. The tree grew, and then the author could sit in its shade. Later the author tasted an avocado from the tree.
    C The author remembers his grandfather. He traces their relationship by recalling the growth of his grandfather’s avocado tree.
    D The author’s grandfather was careful about money. He grew much of his own food. To save money, he also traded fruit with friends and family.

9 One theme of this selection is that —
    A it is often less expensive to grow your own food
    B children soon outgrow the love of playing outdoors
    C a neat yard reveals something about a person’s character
    D sometimes a person must be patient in order to see results

10 In paragraph 10, the word pulsating helps describe the —
    A rapid movement of the jays’ throats                               
    B cool breeze in the tree branches
    C harsh sounds of the quarreling birds                       
    D deep color of the jays’ eyes

11 From what the author writes in paragraph 2, the reader can conclude that —
    A the author’s grandfather refused to vote for the mayor
    B the author’s grandfather missed his home in Mexico
    C California and Mexico are very much alike
    D the moon and stars aren’t visible over Fresno
    12 The tone of paragraph 6 can best be described as —
    A objective                        B peaceful                        C mysterious                D resentful

        Use “Final Visit” and “The Grandfather” to answer questions 13 and 14.
    13 Which of Joe’s actions in “Final Visit” would have been approved by the grandfather in “The Grandfather”?
    A Refusing to write to Scott                       
    B Buying new machinery
    C Letting the beavers stay                       
    D Keeping the farm in the family

14 Both selections stress —
    A the survival of animals
    B the importance of home and family
    C an appreciation of plants
    D the difficulties of dealing with nature

        Use the visual representation on page 9 to answer questions 15 and 16.

15 How does the bottom photograph help define the word oasis?
    A It shows one of the girls doing all the work.
    B It proves that even children can tend a garden.
    C It suggests that the secret to a successful garden is water.
    D It features two girls standing in a lush garden.

16 What is probably one reason behind the Montvale Nursery’s donation of tools and supplies to the project?
    A The nursery will benefit from an increased neighborhood interest in gardening.
    B The nursery has a surplus of tools and supplies.
    C Montvale is the only nursery that the garden club asked to sponsor the event.
    D The people who own the nursery also own the vacant lot.

17 In “Final Visit,” how does the return of beavers on the river help convince Scott to return to the farm?
    Support your answer with evidence from the selection.
    It reminds scott of his childhood, and he doesn’t want to harm the beavers.
    18 Why do you think the avocado tree is so important in “The Grandfather”? Support your answer with evidence from the selection.
    Because it’s the tree that the grandfather likes best, t reminds people of him.
    19 How is nature important in both “Final Visit” and “The Grandfather”? Support your answer with evidence from both selections.
    They both help the author realize a relationship they didn’t before.
    WRITTEN COMPOSITION
    Write an essay exploring how a place or an object can remind a person of a special relationship.
    The information in the box below will help you remember what you should think about when you write your composition.
    REMEMBER—YOU SHOULD
    ❑ write about the assigned topic
    ❑ make your writing thoughtful and interesting
    ❑ make sure that each sentence you write contributes to your composition as a whole
    ❑ make sure that your ideas are clear and easy for the reader to follow
    ❑ write about your ideas in depth so that the reader is able to develop a good understanding of what you are saying
    ❑ proofread your writing to correct errors in spelling, capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure

Rashid wrote this paper about an interesting event he attended. He has asked you to read the paper and help him identify the corrections and improvements he should make. When you finish reading, answer the questions that follow.

The Combine Demolition Derby
    (1) As summer approaches each year, residents in the city of Lind Washington, prepare for several thousand visitors. (2) Thanks to the innovative idea of community member Bill Loomis, Lind has hosted the Combine Demolition Derby every year since 1988. (3) At this unusual competition, combines, huge farm machines that usually move slowly through wheat fields harvesting grain, meet in an arena and crash into one another. (4) Metal scrapes against metal, and tires fling mud in every direction.

(5) At a recent competition 16 enormous combines battled in front of more than 3,000 spectators. (6) As the rules dictate, each machine was at least 25 years old and unable to be used in the fields anymore. (7) With balloons, ribbon, and paint decorating many of them. (8) Metal clashed, dirt flew, and farmers wrestled with their combines to see who’s machine would be the last one moving—the requirement for winning first prize.

(9) While fun is a critical element in the Combine Demolition Derby, great attention is also given to the safety of participants and observers. (10) Every driver must wear a helmet and a safety belt. (11) Dangerous parts of the combines, including the glass and much of the equipment, is removed from the machines. (12) All combine drivers must be at least 18 years old, and an ambulance has to be available throughout the event.

(13) As the competition proceeds, some machines become disabled. (14) A towing company quickly drags these combines out of the arena. (15) Talented crews immediately begin repairs. (16) Each crew is composed of seven people, including welders and mechanics.

(17) At the end of the competition, judges award prizes to the three machines that lasted the longest, who come from the surrounding communities. (18) The best-decorated combine it also gets a prize. (19) After the event machines that still run are put away for another season. (20) When summer comes again, the machines can be retrieved for use in the next Combine Demolition Derby!

1 What change, if any, should be made in sentence 1?
    A Change approaches to approach               
    B Change residents to resedents
    C Insert a comma after Lind                               
    D Make no change

2 What change, if any, should be made in sentence 2?
    A Change inovative to innovative                               
    B Delete the comma after Loomis
    C Change has hosted to had hosted                       
    D Make no change

3 What change, if any, should be made in sentence 4?
    A Change scrapes to scrape                                       
    B Change fling to flinging
    C Change direction to directon                               
    D Make no change

4 What revision, if any, should be made in sentence 7?
    A With balloons, ribbon, and paint, many were decorated.
    B Many were decorated with balloons, ribbon, and paint.
    C Decorating many of them with balloons, ribbon, and paint.
    D No revision is needed.

5 What change should be made in sentence 8?
    A Delete the comma after clashed                       
    B Change wrestled to wresteled
    C Change who’s to whose                                               
    D Change requirement to required

6 What change, if any, should be made in sentence 11?
    A Change Dangerous to Danger                               
    B Delete the comma after equipment
    C Change is removed to are removed                       
    D Make no change

7 What transition should be added to the beginning of sentence 12?
    A As a result                B Furthermore                        C However                D Previously

8 Where should the following sentence be added to the fourth paragraph (sentences 13–16)?
    These specialists repair the machines as quickly as possible so that the combines can rejoin the battle.
    A At the beginning of the paragraph                       
    B After sentence 13
    C After sentence 14                                                       
    D At the end of the paragraph

9 What is the most effective way to rewrite the ideas in sentence 17?
    A At the end of the competition, judges award prizes to the three machines that lasted the longest. Who come from the surrounding communities.
    B At the end of the competition, judges from the surrounding communities award prizes to the three machines that lasted the longest.
    C At the end of the competition, judges award prizes to the three machines that lasted the longest, they come from the surrounding communities.
    D At the end of the competition, judges award prizes. To the three machines that lasted the longest and who come from the surrounding communities.

10 What change, if any, should be made in sentence 18?
    A Insert a comma after combine                       
    B Delete it
    C Change gets to get                                               
    D Make no change
    Answer Key: D D C D A A A C D A B B D B D A C A D B C C B D B B
  • Light

楼主 2014-7-2 11:07:13 使用道具

charlenedavid 发表于 2014-7-2 09:26
    看,这是昨天和今天两天做的:

Final Visit by Donna Gamache

你家公子很厉害啊,这么快就全线追赶上了!