SK + Consonant --- SK + Consonant
ST + Vowel --- SD + Vowel
ST + Consonant --- ST + Consonant
SP + Vowel  --- SB + Vowel
SP + Consonant  --- SP + Consonant

Practise to pronounce the following words and sentences:
Respond   Experience   Steve   Special     Skating
Spouse    Spill    Station      Gestapo       Spam

There’s nothing special near the station.
He spoke in an incredible speed.
He spent two hours spelling out all the words.
She spilt the milk on the expensive carpet.
He spoiled my appetite with his spicy spiders.
Statesmen like to speak while standing.
A stable pay is what Mr. Stevenson wanted.
He didn’t give any response to my sticky request.
The sky is so blue in Scotland.
He was scolded for losing the stamp.

音频:http://52hpjz.com/yingyu/Print.asp?ArticleID=101
19916 查看 49 收藏帖子 (38)

说说我的看法高级模式

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录|新会员加入

• kjeavnien

2010-11-24 09:42:43 使用道具

也就是说splendid这样的词是不变的,能这么理解吗?
  • aggy

2010-11-24 10:13:43 使用道具

原来还有不变音的,学习了
  • 聿涛妈妈

2010-11-24 10:23:42 使用道具

这个难度很高呢,楼主辛苦啦
  • zhangyj

2010-11-24 10:35:46 使用道具

就是说后面跟“元音”的话就是要变音的,如果是跟“辅音”的依然是发原来的的音,是不是这样啊?不是特别明白,楼主妈妈再讲一下
  • kjeavnien

2010-11-24 10:38:17 使用道具

突然想起来spring这个词,如何解释呢?
  • kjeavnien

2010-11-24 10:54:34 使用道具

音频里说spring不变音~~~~不知道他说的对不对,回头问问我们那哥大的外教
  • dongruhua1999

2010-11-24 11:09:47 使用道具

学习了,谢谢
  • kjeavnien

2010-11-24 18:16:54 使用道具

我问了一下外教,哥伦比亚大学毕业的。
    也没给我讲明白。
    首先他没有这个变音的概念。他说spring是p,但是我听他读是变了音的。
    所以外国人貌似不怎么在意这个变音。你说spring,还是sbring他也不太能感觉出来。
    就像有些人n l不分一样。
    中国人对p b比较敏感,所以在教学中就分的比较清,也比较强调。
    我觉得这就是我们在习得第二语言过程中的一种语言的正迁移现象。

PS:我觉得我们这个外教也可能由于不是学习语言学的,所以不能够很好的解释。但我不确定。
    另外,中国有普通话等级考试,对于语言的发音都有一个标准。
    我问外教,他说美国没有。
  • Michael04

楼主 2010-11-25 06:55:48 使用道具

本帖最后由 Michael04 于 2010-11-25 07:43 编辑

回复 kjeavnien 的帖子

版主:我是看到您日志中dtxxm回复  才想到要搜索,搞清楚的。因为自己连变音也不知道,一直很困惑为何音标中SP,而实际发SB的音。是您的日志让我明白了变音这回事,万分感谢您!

dtxxm回复 2010-11-2 12:18 “偶来说一两句:S后面是不是要变音取决于其后面的元音组成的这个音节是不是重读,重读都是要变音的。不重读就不变音了,不是所有的S后面都要变音,楼主应对小朋友讲清楚,不然就变过头了。
    其实说准确一点S后面的这个音不叫变音,而是一种不送气的音。”

dtxxm 2010-11-2 12:21 “偶觉得其实这个问题是不用挑出来讲的,读英语是很自然的事,说对就可以了。”

不过在我搜索中才知道以上音频是----“Ignitertime。一位英语老师在新浪UC很有名。
    他是在国外长大的(从小游历过欧洲许多国家后在美国读书长大),精通5国语言,经常在全国各地巡回演讲,很多名牌大学都邀请他去讲课,他讲课的时候很有魅力,光是他的播音员似的声音就迷倒一大片,再加上他以前在美国做过音乐DJ的经历使得他的课程充满了活力。”

不知是真是假?

• kjeavnien

2010-11-25 09:32:15 使用道具

回复 Michael04 的帖子

这个还得专家来谈~~~
    我个人的理解只能到这里了~~~呵呵

• xiaolu

2011-3-16 15:47:56 使用道具

学习中!谢谢!
  • tiandou

2011-3-16 16:20:55 使用道具

很头痛的一个问题我觉得问题都不大  能交流就ok
  • cherryxufang

2011-3-16 16:50:06 使用道具

昨天孩子读英文书的时候,也在这个问题上搞不清楚。我一直认为所有的SP,SK,ST都读SB,SG,SD。
  • lleon

2011-3-16 17:32:35 使用道具

好像有本书上说过:s后的p, t, k其实不变音,只是外国佬读的又快轻,再加上s是强烈的送气音,所以听起来像浊化了。
  • high5

2011-3-17 01:20:47 使用道具

Respond 的国际音标是    /rɪˈspɒnd/, 发/p/ 的音呀。
  • NAshepherd

2011-3-17 02:21:16 使用道具

用英文去查一下soft sound,大家会有更多的了解
  • high5

2011-3-17 03:06:06 使用道具

回复 NAshepherd 的帖子

谢谢你的回复。

我上网查了一下, 找到这些:

General rules
    If the following letter is 'E', 'I' or 'Y', the pronunciation is said to be "soft".
    If the following letter is anything else - including a space - the pronunciation is termed "hard".

A soft 'C' is pronounced 'S' as in cell, city, decision, receive, license, distance, recently, pronounce, juicy, cylinder.
    A hard 'C' is pronounced 'k' as in call, correct, cup, cross, [size=100%]class, rescue, fact, public, panic, ache.

A soft 'G' is pronounced 'j' as in general, giant, gymnastic, large, energy, intelligible, changing.
    A hard 'G' is pronounced 'g' as in [size=100%]golf, pig, running, great, gum, fragrant, grasp, glut, progress.

有关 “soft sound”, 涉及的是‘c', 'g'的发音。 没看见提到楼主一楼发的那些SP- / SK- / ST。 我找的不全啦, 有些一楼列出来的, 读起来好像是有变音, 但有十分的拿不准。 我的意思是, 有没有必要把这些搞清楚, 这种变音到底有没有规律可循, 在英语的拼读中占有的比重是多少。 如果仅有为数不多的几个词的话, 就可以拿来当sight words这样的个别词对待了。
  • NAshepherd

2011-3-17 03:29:53 使用道具

本帖最后由 NAshepherd 于 2011-3-17 03:36 编辑

回复 high5 的帖子

我对语音研究不深,因为见过有soft sound,所以以为变音的都归到soft sound里。
    我记得中国高一的英语课本里附录里或是语法部分里(依稀记得是2001版的大开本那种)提到楼主说的,有详细说明。

你看看这篇文章,是美国本土人写的。看不到的话我可以copy 过来 。头衔可是Seattle Learning Academy's American English pronunciation podcast.

Sound combinations sp-, st-, and sk-
    http://www.pronuncian.com/Podcast/default.aspx?Episode=115

• NAshepherd

2011-3-17 03:34:43 使用道具

本帖最后由 NAshepherd 于 2011-3-17 03:39 编辑

Sound combinations sp-, st-, and sk-

What happens to unvoiced stops after the s sound?

Merriam-Webster audio samples
        original word        audio        removed s sound        audio
        spark                  (s)park        
        span                   (s)pan        
        style                   (s)tyle        
        scold                  (s)cold        
        scum                 (s)cum        

Transcript

Hi again, and welcome back to Seattle Learning Academy's American English pronunciation podcast. My name is Mandy, and this is our 115th episode.

Before I begin today, we're going to do a little listening experiment. If you have a pen and something to write on near you, please get it ready. This little observation will help you understand today's topic. I'm going to spell the words of a few sets minimal pairs. Then I'll play an audio clip from Merriam Webster's online audio files. I want you to write down which word you hear.

Ready? First I'll spell the words so you know what options to listen for, then I'll play the audio.

1. p-a-r-k or b-a-r-k
       2. p-a-n or b-a-n
       3. t-i-l-e or d-i-a-l
       4. c-o-l-d or g-o-l-d
       5. c-o-m-e or g-u-m

Keep your answers ready. We'll come back to them later in this episode.

So, what is this all about? To understand this show, you must remember that the unvoiced stop sounds are the p sound, t sound, and k sound and the voiced stops are the b sound, d sound, and g sound.

Wait! Before we go any further, it is really helpful to have a basic understanding of stops before listening to this episode. If you don't know what a stop sound is, go back and listen to episode 114, then return to this show.

Today I'm going to make it a little more complicated and talk about what happens when the unvoiced stops (that's the t sound, p sound and k sound), aren't the first sound of a word or a stressed syllable, namely when these sounds occur after the s sound. I know, it seems like the details of these sounds never end!

Let's explore. In the English spelling system, words that begin with the letter s can be followed by the letters representing unvoiced stops. Those are the letter p (as in the word spell), t (as in the word star), and k (as in the word sky), or c (as in the word scare). Words that begin with the letter s cannot be followed by the letters representing voiced stops. Those are the letters b, d, or g. That spelling combination just doesn't exist in English.

I've learned from the forums that some students are taught to pronounce unvoiced stops as voiced stops after an s sound. So, the combination sp- is pronounced as sb-. With this idea, students are taught to think about the pronunciation of the word s-p-a-r-k as s-b-a-r-k.

That's why we began this show with the listening experiment. The audio files I had you listen to at the beginning of this show were altered files. The audio I played for you was not from either of the options I spelled. Instead, I took the words spark, span, style, scold, and scum, and digitally removed the s sound from the beginning of each word. I didn't change the audio in any other way. You heard the remainder of the word. In all honesty, I was very surprised how much every example I could find repeated the theory: after an s sound, unvoiced stops are pronounced very, very similarly to their voiced counterparts.

Since there is no chance of accidentally saying a different word with this option, there's no harm in thinking about it this way. Remember, there are no words in English that begin with the sb-, sg-, or sd spelling.

So, in our listening experiment, if you heard the word from the pair that began with the voiced stop sound, you might benefit from thinking of sp-, st-, sk-, and sc- as actually being pronounced as sb-, sd-, and sg-.

There is one very important detail to remember here, and it's regarding dictionaries. Dictionaries don't show allophones. The allophones you may be familiar with are the alternative t sounds, such as the quick d sound or the glottal stop. Dictionaries will only show a t sound, no matter which allophone of the t sound is commonly used. Likewise, you will not find any dictionaries showing you the voiced stop sounds after the s sound. While doing so might make the dictionary more useful for you, it would horribly confuse native speakers who don't realize that allophones exist. So dictionaries keep it simple, and generally don't show allophones.

I'm very curious about s sound plus stop sound topic, so I've started another forum topic, which I'll link to from this episode's transcripts. Please tell me which way you heard the audio files, and which way makes more sense for you to personally learn the pronunciation patterns. Or maybe you wish I hadn't talked about it at all because I've just made it more confusing for you and you were doing just fine before I brought it up. You can tell me that as well. Of course, you can also post any questions or comments you have about any pronunciation topic to our forums at www.pronuncian.com/forums. Obviously, I learn from your questions!

As always, you can find the transcripts for this, and all of our shows at www.pronuncian.com/podcast.

And one last thing: I know I haven't talked about the free audiobooks from Audible for a while now. I really wanted to tell you about The Story of Edgar Sawtelle for this show, but this episode ended up being complicated enough all by itself. So I'll tell you about it for episode 116. In the meantime, you can still visit www.audiblepodcast.com/pronuncian and get a free audiobook by signing up for a free 14-day trial.

That's all for today everyone. This has been a Seattle Learning Academy digital publication. SLA is where the world comes to learn.

Thanks for listening.

Bye-bye.
  • high5

2011-3-17 05:44:42 使用道具

回复 NAshepherd 的帖子

谢谢你了, 又学了不少东西。
  • 解语

2011-5-13 16:48:01 使用道具

专业问题,不是很能搞清楚
  • 小臭乖

2011-6-30 11:33:21 使用道具

只知道变音,不知道不编印,学习了